Group discussion
Starting Lines for a Group Discussion
Developing a few opening statements will always help you get ready for
this situation as you explore the best ways to begin a group conversation. It
is crucial to prepare for this part of the selection process for your desired
course or career profile because many competitive exams are frequently followed
by a group discussion. If you are asked to initiate a group conversation, the
following helpful phrases and lines may be of use to you:
- “I would like to start by stating my view of the matter….”
- “I
would like to put forward the point that….”
- You
can start with a quote: “As X once had said…”
- If
you are giving a definition related to the topic: “______is defined as…..”
- I am
sure that some of you might agree on my point while others might not, but
I would like to say that….”
- Hi
everyone, I am _____ (name) and I would like to introduce the topic of
this group discussion.
- Hello
everyone, my name is ____ and I will be initiating the group discussion. I
would like to ask a question from all of you. [Add a question here
relevant to the topic]
- Mahatma
Gandhi said, ________ [or any other relevant quote] and this corresponds
to the topic of our group discussion today which is _____. I am _____
(name), the initiator of this group discussion and would like all of you
to present your opinions on this topic.
- Good
morning everyone, I am ______ and for today’s group discussion, we will be
discoursing on the topic of _______.
- Hi
everyone, I am _____ and this group discussion will be focused on _____.
First, let me give you a brief overview of the topic.
Agreeing:
Most importantly, it's important to remember that the goal of this work is cooperation and a useful conclusion throughout the group discussion. You must convey your message while honoring the ideas and opinions of others. A few examples are:
·
“I totally agree with….”
·
“As a matter of fact, X is right by saying that…”
·
“I think you are absolutely right”
·
“I have to side with X on this one”
·
“There can be no doubt that…”
Disagreeing:
Although it's good to agree, disagreeing might come across as almost
disrespectful and rude if it's not done correctly. You can dispute nicely by
using the following words and expressions.
·
“With due respect, I believe it would be wrong to…”
·
“With due respect, I would only partly agree to that…”
·
“I feel it wouldn’t be right to….”
·
“Though I agree with…. it seems to me that…”
Suggesting your opinion :
First and foremost, your arguments need to be strong and convincing.
Additionally, it's important to organize your thoughts into understandable
sentences. Therefore, the following words and phrases will support you in the
same way.
·
“My honest opinion would be that…”
·
“The way I see it….”
·
“The point I would like to make is that…”
·
“I would like to say that..”
·
“I am of the opinion that…”
Asking for clarification:
While a point is conveyed, it's important that everyone in the group
understands the main idea. It is best to ask someone to repeat a viewpoint if
you don't comprehend it. Additionally, it will demonstrate your interest and
want to contribute to the conversation. A few examples are:
·
“I’m sorry but could you please make it more clear…”
·
“If you don’t mind, could you please repeat that again…”
Interrupting Politely:
You may occasionally need to interrupt a speaker in order to give important
context to their already stated point. So, here are some words and phrases to
utilize in these circumstances.
·
“Sorry to interrupt, but …”
·
“I would like to add here that…”
·
“Is it okay if I add something here….”
·
“If I may interrupt, I would like to add that..”
Other Useful Phrases:
Here are a few other expressions to utilize in addition to the ones already given.
·
Relating to ground reality: “In today’s world..”
·
Stating popular facts: “As a matter of fact…”
·
Thanking someone, before making your point: “Thank you for asking my
opinion…”
·
Giving a chance to someone: “What do you think about this, X?”
·
Quoting someone popular: “As X had once said….”
In the group discussion task, having a productive conversation and
reaching a well-coordinated conclusion are what count. Therefore, make an
effort to give clear, logical, and well-structured arguments while making
efficient use of your time.
- To provide a lasting image of professionalism, dress formally.
- Keep your gaze fixed on the moderator.
- Keep your mouth shut while your rival is speaking. Everyone has an equal opportunity to speak.
- No comments that are unclear or irrelevant.
- Try to refrain from stuttering and stammering.
- Watch your body language and maintain an erect posture.
- Even if you disagree with what your opponents are saying, be courteous to them.

Leave a Comment